Jobs and Internships
Visitor and Communications Coordinator
Want to get a start working in global health, with an organization making real change in rural Haiti? Come join the St. Boniface Haiti Foundation as our 2016-1017 Visitor & Communications Coordinator!
This position is based at our 80-bed hospital in rural Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti. Responsibilities include conducting patient interviews, taking photographs of programs and staff in action, and other communications projects, as well as visitor coordination abd management of the hospital residence (which houses international visitors and visiting local staff and Resident doctors).
You will gain great insight into the day-to-day workings of a full-service hospital that operates in one of the most resource-poor places in the world, as well as experience in non-profit communications and storytelling. Successful candidates will be excited about living and working in a developing country, telling the stories of our patients and staff, wrangling logistics, hosting a wide range of visitors, and jumping into new projects with enthusiasm.
The Visitor and Communications Coordinator at SBHF is a year-long stipend position. As SBHF continues to grow, the Visitor and Communications Coordinator has the unique opportunity to become more involved in other logistical and programmatic aspects of efforts to improve health equity.
- Photograph programs in action for use on SBHF’s website and other media (annual report, newsletters, Facebook, etc.).
- Develop stories as needed to be used in communications and appeals.
- Conduct patient and staff interviews.
- Aid in in keeping social media accounts current including Facebook and Twitter.
- Assist the Communications & Marketing Manager in compiling information for public relations dissemination.
- Assist the communications team in the design of marketing materials as needed.
- Work on all volunteer coordination including scheduling, transportation and logistics.
- Train volunteers on SBHF’s mission ensure their visit to Haiti is a productive learning experience.
- Act as a single point of contact for volunteers and help resolve any issues as they may arise while they are in Haiti.
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day activity of the residence center in Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti, including housekeeping inspections, menu planning, reservations and logistics.
- Manage the residence staff including training and scheduling.
- Monitor supplies and request replenishments as needed.
- Observe food preparations to ensure US standards are met to prevent illness.
- Greet all guests and review residence rules and safe practices.
- Act as the liaison between all staff and guests.
- Respond to all building and maintenance issues within the residence and manage the follow-up to ensure all issues are resolved.
- Collect payments from visitors and manage receipts due. Report to the Director of Finance monthly guest stays and payments for proper financial reporting.
- Arrange logistics for visiting groups from abroad including transportation, translation services, scheduling activities, etc.
- Collect payments on any gift items sold and work with accounting to record these transactions.
This position may also be required to participate in other projects as requested by the Communications & Marketing Manager and Chief Operating Officer. Examples may include helping to monitor and evaluate a program, assisting in improving medical equipment tracking or designing process maps for different departments.
- University degree
- Previous experience working in hospitality or customer relations
- Demonstrated written and communication skills
- Fluency in French or Creole is a plus
- Enjoys cooking is a plus
- Photography experience is a plus
- Have the drive and desire to be a part of a non-profit organization and be willing to help as needed
- Must be flexible and adaptable to an ever changing environment in a developing country
- Be organized and able to multi-task
- Commitment to social justice
- Motivated to take initiative to address problems and inefficiencies that arise
- Room and board will be provided at the hospital residence in Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti
- Multinational health insurance
- 2 flights to/from Haiti per year
- Monthly Stipend of $500/month
- One month vacation per a year
- Wireless internet available on the hospital campus
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Visitor and Communications Coordinator position” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is May 1, 2016.
Ideal start date for the position is mid-June 2016, but can be flexible for the right candidate.