Communications and Marketing Manager
With compassion and respect for the people of Haiti, the St. Boniface Haiti Foundation strives to improve life for the poor of Haiti by facilitating access to quality, affordable health care, educational opportunities, and community development programs. Recognized nationally and internationally for our leadership in community-based care, SBHF is creating a model of successful, sustainable development in Haiti.
SBHF’s principal program is healthcare delivery. Under the direction of local leadership, SBHF runs St. Boniface Hospital in Fond-des-Blancs, which is considered a regional facility for southern Haiti, as well as a primary care satellite clinic in rural Villa and community health programs in the South and Southeast departments of Haiti. Together these facilities provide care for more than 65,000 patients annually and employ over 200 staff, 98% of whom are Haitian.
Over the past 30+ years, St. Boniface has grown to become a major healthcare provider and is now a crucial piece of Haiti’s national healthcare infrastructure. The organization has experienced rapid growth during the past few years and has an ambitious vision for making an even stronger impact going forward. Our recently opened Maternal and Neonatal Health Center (opened in March 2015), Infectious Disease Center (construction commencing Sept 2015), and a Surgical Center (in the planning/fundraising stage) showcase this growth.
A new position at SBHF, the Communications and Marketing Manager will play a key role in attracting and retaining strong partners, funders, and allies to join SBHF’s mission by helping the organization communicate our impact, ambitions, and unique value proposition more clearly across a range of channels. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone interested in building a communications program from the ground up for an organization on the move.
For more information on SBHF, see www.haitihealth.org.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Communications and Marketing Manager will have primary responsibility for developing and implementing organizational communications strategies. Focus areas will include: branding/messaging, digital content, social and earned media, and development communications. A successful Communications and Marketing Manager will be a mission-driven individual who thrives in a lean, fast-paced, results-oriented environment and is comfortable managing up, down, and across a flat organization.
This position is based in SBHF’s Boston area offices (Newton Upper Falls) with regular (approximately quarterly) travel to Haiti.
Strategy and Planning
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a communications plan aligned with SBHF strategic priorities that includes social media, earned media, print and digital content, donor engagement, and marketing.
- Ensure that brand identity, messaging, and communications strategies are consistently applied throughout the organization to maximum effect.
- Develop an organizational communications style guide.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to organizational leadership on all communications issues.
- Develop a set of key strategic messages that will be used consistently by internal spokespeople and champions to convey SBHF’s mission, vision, and value proposition.
- Develop and execute strategies to build awareness by and engagement of potential partners, donors, and other external audience.
- Help identify, craft, and showcase compelling stories that convey SBHF’s case for support and approach in delivering our mission.
- Support SBHF leadership by developing and reviewing supporting material (PowerPoint presentations, flipbooks, storyboards, etc.) for use with external audiences.
- Develop talking points for specific issues as needed.
Content Strategy and Management
- Manage the development, design, and copywriting of high-quality and engaging print and electronic fundraising collateral including, but not limited to, appeals, annual report, brochures, presentations, newsletters, and reports. Coordinate with consultants as needed.
- Serve as principal manager responsible for maintaining and improving SBHF website. Liaise with project consultant in upcoming website refresh, with primary responsibility for content development. Monitor data and analytics to assess engagement and adjust strategy accordingly.
External Visibility and Thought Leadership
- Establish SBHF as a thought leader in our field by strategically and proactively winning interviews, articles, op-eds, blogs, and speaking engagements.
- Social Media: Maintain and grow social media content and audience to increase awareness, build donor and partner engagement, and improve online discoverability. Develop guidelines for social media for staff on the ground to use on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram (and other emerging channels as appropriate) to ensure consistent organizational voice. Train and monitor implementation.
- Media Relations: Develop a media relations strategy for SBHF. Write, issue, and distribute newsworthy press releases. Develop storylines that highlight our work. Leverage and build relationships with reporters and get media coverage through proactive pitching. Arrange, facilitate, and manage media briefings with spokespeople. Prepare spokespeople as needed.
- Identify opportunities to increase visibility for the work of SBHF.
- BA required, Masters preferred.
- Five to seven years of experience in public relations, communications, writing and/or social media work required.
- Experience in nonprofit development communications preferred.
- Experience in international aid and/or health issues a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing successful communications strategies with multiple stakeholders, partners, and target audiences.
- Superior writing and communications skills.
- Experience managing digital campaigns and tools; proven understanding of marketing analytics and experience with social advocacy campaigns that drive donations and community engagement.
- Proficiency in social media, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Awareness of practices in nonprofit social media strategies and trends in social channels.
- Website development and management experience desired; familiarity with WordPress a plus.
- Proven media relations skills.
- Ability to write and edit quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to take initiative.
- Ability to be self-directed and proactively engage senior leadership on strategic issues.
- Skilled in building and maintaining relationships with external and internal constituents.
- Experience leading projects and engaging team members in a collaborative manner.
- Proficiency in Haitian Creole or French a plus.
- Ability to travel to Haiti on a regular (approximately quarterly) basis.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but accepted no later than August 21, 2015. Please note that while we appreciate every candidate’s interest, only qualified applicants will be contacted.